Post Date : August 14th, 2018
One Straw Society’s mission is to provide education, advocacy and community connections,
empowering people to access and engage in a local, resilient, and sustainable food system.
To us, this means:
- People grow and produce food locally;
- Food is accessible to consumers;
- The food system is environmentally responsible; and
- The Sunshine Coast has a robust food economy.
One Straw Society currently serves the Lower Sunshine Coast.
Please visit www.onestraw.ca to learn more.
The Green Banner Food Directory is available online and as a hard copy. Its purpose is to encourage the purchase of local food and value added products on the Sunshine Coast. It shares locations of local farm gates, producers, farmers markets, restaurants and grocers, making them more easily found by residents and tourists.
Reporting to the executive director (ED), the Green Banner Coordinator will oversee the updating and execution of the Green Banner Local Food Directory project. This is an annual project based position that involves the updating, printing and distribution of the Green Banner across the Sunshine Coast and through online platforms including our website, social media, newsletter and other networks.
- Contact existing Green Banner listings to get their permissions to relist and commitment to pay for our affiliate membership.
- Seek out and contact new or existing farmers, producers, distributors and community initiatives that support local food that are not currently listed and seek permissions to list and commitment to pay for our affiliate membership.
- Collect updated media for the Green Banner from all committed participants.
- Document and track all correspondence including with those who wish not to be listed.
- Follow up to ensure that memberships are purchased.
- With support of a graphic designer, update the existing green banner with listings (printed and online version).
- Send out a draft to all listed and collect edits.
- With the support of a graphic designer, complete a final draft of the Green Banner (printed and online version).
- Seek and create partnerships to support the promotion and distribution of the Green Banner.
- Print copies of the Green Banner within the project budget and distribute across the lower sunshine coast.
- Re -stock Green Banners as needed (at minimum on a seasonal basis)
- Document and track all Green Banner distribution locations and track inventory of the Green Banner.
- Work with the Executive Director and Financial Director to create a budget and maintain financial records for project expenses.
- Work with the Executive Director and Fund Development Director to seek funding and resources for the Green Banner Local Directory Project.
- Track donations of resources, time and money for accounting and funding purposes.
- Submit an annual project report to the Executive Director.
- Provide information on the Green Banner Project upon request.
- Attend Strategic Planning sessions when applicable and contribute to the advancement and expansion of the Green Banner project by contributing your expertise.
- Attend the occasional Board of Directors meeting or Annual General Meeting when applicable.
The Green Banner Coordinator will be self organized, motivated and able to work independently. They will possess the following skills :
- Organized, self-motivated, positive and passionate.
- Cooperative, collaborative and works well with others.
- Excellent communication skills, especially over the phone.
- Ability to drive and access to a working vehicle.
- Versed with email, social media and basic website editing.
- Experience with Excel, Word, Google Drive, or equivalent.
- Has basic budgeting and accounting skills.
- Understanding of One Straws Mission, Vision and Values.
Not required, but is an asset :
- Graphic Design skills.
- Strong community networks.
- Fund development skills
- Sales and marketing skills
- Understanding and knowledge of the local food system.
VALUES AND STANDARDS
The values and standards within which the work will be performed include the following:
- The Society’s values and beliefs.
- Best practices in all aspects and functions of the Society’s work.
- All applicable legislative requirements.
- The building of a trust enhancing workplace while demonstrating and reinforcing our values and code of conduct.
- A culture of accountability.
- An environment that brings out the best in people; creates an environment that fosters high performance, collaboration, innovation, diversity, learning and initiative.
- Strong, positive and trusted relationships across internal and external stakeholder groups.
Annual Project with option to return the following year.
Project based. The project has approximately 30 -50 hour commitment annually. A working schedule is created and self maintained by the coordinator with an agreement the updated Green Banner will be completed and printed, ready for distribution by April 1st each year.
We are seeking funding for this role and it is currently a volunteer position. We are a budding organization operating on a low budget and while we are not able to financially compensate this role, there are many benefits as listed below. Compensation will be negotiable as the organization’s capacity grows.
- Meet new people and learn about local farmers, producers and distributors.
- Gain employable skills in graphic design, fundraising and media communications.
- Gain experience using computer and office programs.
- Community networking and building relationships.
- Support the growth of the local food economy.
- Boost your CV & Resume and earn great references.
- Contribute to the creation of a thriving local food system.
- You and / or your business will be featured on our website.
- Organizational and Volunteer orientation including history of Green Banner.
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Using One Straw email and website database.
- Using Google Drive.
Please email a resume and cover letter to Kym Chi : firstname.lastname@example.org