Fruit Tree Project
Share Your Bounty
Fruit is an incredibly abundant organic food resource on the Sunshine Coast – so much so that there aren’t nearly enough hands to pick and distribute what grows. As a result, hundreds of pounds of fruit go to waste annually.
The Fruit Tree Project’s mission is to help reduce this waste by organizing volunteer pickers to harvest and distribute the excess fruit in our community.
We harvest pesticide-free, organically-grown fruit between the months of July and October from Gibsons to Pender Harbour. We arrive at the fruit trees equipped with ladders, fruit pickers, and helping hands. We split the harvest between the fruit tree owners, the volunteer pickers, the Fruit Tree Project itself.
We sell some of the best fruit at local markets and to the Coast Canning Cooperative, as a way to sustain the project while also donating hundreds of pounds to residents in need and farmers who can use the past-prime fruit for their animals. Nothing goes to waste!
By bringing people together over harvesting fruit, we help reduce food waste, improve food security in our community, mitigate wildlife attractants, and offer an avenue to exchange knowledge and information on fruit tree care, harvesting, and fruit preserving.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook!
Register Your Tree
Whether you have excess fruit or just want more info on tree care and fruit preservation, registering your tree with us will get you the support you need.
Fruit Tree Project activities generally take place between July and October, although (of course) we pick according to season.
We serve the Sunshine Coast from Gibsons to Pender Harbour.
How we help you:
- Get help picking your fruit–it can be a BIG job, we know!
- Pruning courses for you and our volunteers
- Pruning and healthy tree maintenance services
How you help the community:
- Donate unused fruit to community organizations
- Mitigate the risks of wildlife (bears, anyone?!)
- Provide fresh, healthy, local food resource for people in need
- Create a means to exchange wisdom around fruit tree care
- Reinforce community connections around food
So register your tree today!
Already registered? Schedule a pick!
Join the Harvest
Volunteering with us might mean going home with a basket of apples for a weekend of apple pie-making, or it could mean leading picks throughout the season. Let us know what you’re interested in and we’ll connect you with people and fruit!
Ways to help us:
- Pick fruit!
- Organize picks
- Post on social media
- Process harvested fruit
How we help you:
- Get practice picking fruit
- Exchange recipes and preservation ideas
- Take home lots of fruit to share and process
- Meet like-minded people
- Learn to care for fruit trees
Already registered? Check out our calendar to register for a pick!