Post Date : August 14th, 2018
SPECIAL EVENTS COORDINATOR ROLE DESCRIPTION
One Straw Society’s mission is to provide education, advocacy and community connections,
empowering people to access and engage in a local, resilient, and sustainable food system.
To us, this means:
- People grow and produce food locally;
- Food is accessible to consumers;
- The food system is environmentally responsible; and
- The Sunshine Coast has a robust food economy.
One Straw Society currently serves the Lower Sunshine Coast.
Please visit www.onestraw.ca to learn more.
Reporting to the executive director (ED), the Special Events Coordinator will liaise with community partners and businesses to plan, organize and execute One Straw Societies special events. These events will include our annual events :
- Seedy Saturday (Early March)
- Edible Garden Tour (Late July)
- Field to Feast Dinner (Early August or September)
- Fall Faire (Early October)
- Work with a graphic designer as needed and use our organization’s branding guidelines to design graphics for event materials, posters, and online communications, including creating viral campaigns, videos and infographics.
- Engage donor, supporter and other stakeholder engagement through directed campaigns and partnerships.
- Draft media releases, and manage other event related media communications including (With the support of the Executive Director when needed).
- Support fundraising and fund development efforts at special events.
- Work with the Executive Director and Marketing Director to create a marketing strategy for One Straw events.
- Update all One Straw platforms with event promotion and updates including updating the website, creating and updating FB event pages, posting to all One Straw Social Media and submitting promotional media and media releases to the Growing Coastal Newsletter.
- Provide email sign ups for the newsletter, programs to the proper coordinator.
- Provide any membership information to the memberships coordinator.
- Submit reports to the Executive Director after each event.
- Plan and organize events with support from staff and volunteers.
- Work with the volunteer coordinator to recruit event volunteers.
- Establish and maintain relationships with partners, donors and event sponsors as needed.
- Manage event logistics including venue rentals, vendor outreach and communication, connections with participating businesses and organizations, sourcing donations, food and decor.
- Coordinate and manage volunteers.
- Create and manage budgets with support of the Executive Director and Financial Director.
- Oversee the set up, operations and take down of the event to ensure that everything and everyone is supported adequately and that good relations are kept with all venues.
- Manage event follow up including thank you’s, media releases and venue walk through.
- Administrative tasks related to event planning.
- Documentation of event organization and fundraising with feedback from volunteers and participants.
- Support the Executive Director and Policy Development Director to create policies and procedures and supportive documentation for One Straw Society Special Events.
- Attend Strategic Planning sessions when applicable and contribute to the advancement and expansion of Events by contributing your expertise.
- Attend Board Meetings when requested by the Board of Directors.
The Special Events Coordinator will have experience with planning and organizing events for 300 – 500 people. They will possess the following skills :
- 1 to 2 years of experience in event planning, preferably in the nonprofit sector for and with diverse sectors, groups and individuals.
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail and the ability to manage several projects at the same time.
- Organized, self-motivated, positive and passionate.
- Excellent writing and strategic communication skills.
- Experience managing, delegating tasks and mentoring others.
- Experience with fundraising, donor relations and/or fund development would be ideal.
- Experience working with media outlets.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and team-oriented environment
- Solutions thinker with strong problem solving skills, a creative mindset and the ability to work under pressure
- Experience with Word, Excel, powerpoint, Google Drive, or equivalent and is email, tech, social media and computer-savvy.
- Must have access to a computer, phone and internet.
- Has a valid driver’s license and access to a working vehicle.
- Successful applicants will be required to pass a Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
- Has basic budgeting and accounting skills.
- Understanding of One Straws Mission, Vision and Values.
Not required, but is an asset :
- Experience speaking to large groups.
- Strong community networks.
- Graphic Design skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of the local food system.
VALUES AND STANDARDS
The values and standards within which the work will be performed include the following:
- The Society’s values and beliefs.
- Best practices in all aspects and functions of the Society’s work.
- All applicable legislative requirements.
- The building of a trust enhancing workplace while demonstrating and reinforcing our values and code of conduct.
- A culture of accountability.
- An environment that brings out the best in people; creates an environment that fosters high performance, collaboration, innovation, diversity, learning and initiative.
- Strong, positive and trusted relationships across internal and external stakeholder groups.
1 event to start, with possibility to continue indefinitely after trial.
Timing varies based on event size and activities. The Coordinator will be required to put in whatever time is appropriate to make each individual event successful with a range of approximately 50 – 80 hours or more for larger events and as little as 30 – 40 hours for smaller events.
We offer compensation for this role through a profit sharing model. The coordinator will be given 50% of event revenue after all expenses. We are a budding organization operating on a low budget and while we may not able to fully financially compensate this role, there are many benefits as listed below. Compensation will be negotiable as the organization’s capacity grows.
- Meet new people.
- Gain hands on experience and employable skills in coordinating, managing, facilitating, event planning, team building, media relations and local food systems.
- Gain experience using computer and office programs.
- Community networking and building relationships.
- Empower people in the community to contribute.
- Learning first about new opportunities and events on the Coast.
- Boost your CV & Resume and earn great references.
- Contribute to the creation of a thriving local food system.
- You and / or your business will be featured on our website.
- Organizational and Volunteer orientation including background of special events and policies and procedures.
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Volunteer orientation Facilitator Training.
- Using One Straw email and website database.
- Using Google Drive.
- The successful candidate will also be given access to previous event information stored on the One Straw database.
Please email an updated resume and cover letter to Kym Chi : email@example.com