About One Straw
Building community by nature, growing food for life.
The One Straw Society has empowered the Sunshine Coast community for over 21 years.
The goal? To create vibrant, sustainable, local food systems.
Through mentor training, workshops, programming, and events, we bring people together to pass on valuable skills, share knowledge & resources, and celebrate our human connections around food.
Programs range from community gardens, food waste reduction initiatives and education to seed exchanges and potlucks. We also support emergency preparedness and building local economy!
As a collective, we sow and grow the partnerships, projects, programs, and policies needed to further food security and community resiliency on the Sunshine Coast.
We empower Sunshine Coast residents to cultivate resilient food systems and communities.
We exist to:
- Empower the growth of sustainable agriculture
- Foster open communication and engagement around food self-sufficiency
- Strengthen community resiliency by expanding the knowledge base of our food systems
- Grow a healthy local economy that includes production, distribution and purchase of local & organic produce
- Encourage ecological stewardship of our foodshed, including farmable lands, fisheries, forests, and watersheds