Fresh. Local. Abundant.
One Straw Society’s goal is to help people of the Sunshine Coast access and engage in a local, resilient, sustainable food system.
Our mission is to support you in:
Having access to and growing local food.
Sustaining and enhancing the environment.
Supporting the local economy.
Connecting with your community
After weeks of lockdown, our food supply now faces very real risks. Farmers have missed planting windows, haven’t been able to bring in farm workers, and there are disruptions in the transport chain.
Locally, we always support LOCAL FARMERS first! We will continue to share info and ways that we can support our local growers, but here’s another idea…
One Straw Society had plans to reveal an exciting new project at the Gumboot Gardens in partnership with the Roberts Creek Childcare Society – cute pinterest-style gardens hosting all the coolest ideas you’ve seen for growing food in small spaces. It’ll be full of children, learning and lots of fresh food grown in a small footprint.
But we’re pivoting that plan a bit to help out right now. We need to use this space to grow food for our most vulnerable and to provide fresh food for the Coast in the face of looming food insecurity. Want to be a part of it?
5 ways you can help:
1. DIVIDE & SHARE YOUR PLANTS: Donate perennial plants and shrubs – asparagus crowns, rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, etc.
2. GROW SEEDLINGS: Grow your own seeds, or we can provide you with seeds, and in a few weeks, bring in the seedlings ready for the ground.
3. DIG, WEED & PLANT: Social distancing at its finest… sunny days in the dirt. 2 to 6 hour shifts – do just one, or come out every day to get the ball rolling! Every hour helps!
4. BECOME A MEMBER: Renew your membership or get one for friends & family! If you bought a “Lifetime Membership” in the past, consider investing in an annual membership that will continue to support programs and services. Better benefits too! http://www.onestraw.ca/connect/become-a-member/
5. DONATE: Lend the use of tractors, tillers, and tools, or donate/build small storage/studio buildings or cash. Cash donations are critical to being able to hire skilled people, buy materials, support volunteers, and liaise with organizations, food banks and vulnerable persons in the community.
Donations may be e-transferred to email@example.com.
Want more on this? We meet THURSDAYS on Zoom to bounce ideas, and get planning! email firstname.lastname@example.org